Get your apron out of the cupboard, get the charcoal glowing… it’s barbecue season! Steaks, burgers, sausages and poultry are booming. But we think it is time to grill up a vegan feast — with a focus on fruits. Grilling fruit makes a good thing even better. Flavours intensify as the natural sugars caramelise and juicy fruits can get even juicier.
Here are some options you should include in your next barbecue preps.
GRILLED MANGO WITH DIP
- 4 mangoes, peeled and halved
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 tsp. agave syrup
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Stir all dip ingredients and set aside.
- Glace the mangoes with melted butter and lemon juice, place them on the grill and cook, turning once, for 3 to 4 minutes or until grill marked.
GRILLED PINEAPPLE SLICES
Fresh Pineapple cut into slices
- Sprinkle pineapple slices with brown sugar, toss to coat and let them rest 10 minutes.
- Place on grill, and grill each side for 2-3 minutes, then rotate 45 degrees and grill for an additional 2-3 minutes. Flip over and repeat.
- VARIATIONS: add cinnamon with the brown sugar or use honey instead of brown sugar. If you like it hot, try some chilli powder on it after you are done grilling.
GRILLED MELON SALAD
- 1 watermelon, cut in 2.5 cm thick slices
- 1cup crumbled feta cheese, 200g
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 2 tsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. each salt and pepper
- Brush watermelon slices with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and grill each side for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and chop into large chunks.
- Mix watermelon, feta, mint, basil and walnuts. Whisk together olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Gently combine with the rest of the salad. Serve warm or chilled.
BEST DRINK PAIRINGS WITH GRILLED FRUITS
And which drinks would make the perfect pairing with these delicious grilled fruit dishes?
The fruity, bold yet naturally sweet flavours of grilled fruits require a refreshing drink filled with light, airy fruit flavours and a darker spirit base. Whiskies or rums are excellent bases for this pairing. Try grilled mango or pineapple with The Tale of Oolong with its whisky base and you will see how the fruity, sweet smoky notes take the flavour profile of the mango or pineapple to another level.
On the other hand, the grilled melon salad pairs perfectly with The Tale of Moroccan Mint. The minty character of the drink enhances the freshness of the melon salad.
All drinks served on ice garnished with a lime or orange twist. If you want to add additional freshness top them with tonic or soda and prosecco.